Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro
Ngorongoro - Zebra

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The next installment...not too much to report!

Day 4 (6/21):

Going to sleep Sunday night was stressful and anxious. I didn’t know if I could handle another entire empty night, laying awake. Thankfully, I slept like a baby. Maybe my body was tired of not having enough rest, or god was smiling on me, either way I woke up Monday morning like a new person. I’d never felt better in my entire life.

Libby had similarly slept well, as had some of the other girls who were struggling with sleep. It was almost as if the sandman had visited us all. Breakfast was excited and happy with the first day of class ahead, and everyone’s renewed energy.

We got to class and spent the morning from 9am-11am discussing various introductory topics revolving around human rights. We had a half hour break, where we split up as a group to do various tasks. I had to go change some money from American dollars to Tanzanian shillings. The exchange rate over here is awesome and things are ridiculously cheap. Sometimes I feel bad paying the little I do for things. We returned to class for another hour and a half of lesson, before finishing for the day. At 1pm we had roughly an hour and a half to run errands before we had to report to the Peace Research Center to meet with our program director to file immigration paperwork, i.e. we needed a resident permit.

I spent my time in a group that needed postcards and stamps. I bought 12 postcards, and twelve stamps and ended up paying less than 10 USD for the purchase and sending of the postcards. It’s insane. Anyway, after that we didn’t have anything to do so we headed right for the center. I sat there filling the postcards out and writing messages while waiting for everyone else to show up. Eventually we figured out paperwork and returned to the complex.

In the afternoon I checked my emails and facebook, did secretarial stuff around my computer and then hung out in the apartment. My roommates and I ended up having an awesome talk about a wide variety of things from our respective “Long Story”’s (ex-boyfriends that left their mark) to our different expectations of this program and whether they’d be fulfilled, to a lengthy conversation on the kidnapping of that little boy in Oregon and whether his step-mother was really the proper suspect.

We filed down to dinner which consisted of soup, fried tortillas, rice, meat dishes, vegetables, and desert. We were treated with these awesome fried puffs filled with nutella for desert. As soon as one of the other girls popped one open, we all let out a small scream and jumped for the tray. The cooks laughed at us until we left the table.

After dinner I attempted to do the readings for class the next day, but filled most of my time playing Mahjong Titans on my computer while my roommate Libby actually did the readings and watched the world cup.

After feeling slightly anxious about getting a good nights sleep a second time in a row, I was rewarded with almost a full nights rest. I slept from 11 to 6 am when my bed woke me up, and while I fell back asleep, it was that type of sleep that isn’t really restful, because you’re close enough to the surface of consciousness that it’s almost not worth it.

Day 5 (6/22):

Today dawned chilly and damp, kind of like always. Since it’s after the rainy season here, mornings are chilly and cold but by the afternoon the sun has burned the clouds away and its nice and warm. It’s weird though, I haven’t worn short sleeves without a sweater or jacket since I got here.

Breakfast was nice. I really like the breakfast here because it’s the same thing. I know that sounds strange and I will probably get tired of it after a while but I have a cup of tea, every morning, just like my mom, buttered toast with jam and fresh fruit.

We trooped up to class, and I dropped my postcards off on the way. For those of you who requested them, keep an eye out on the mail in the next few weeks!

Class was good, slightly less engaging and full of conversation than the first day, but I’m sure there will always be days like that so I’m not worried.

During our break a bunch of us went to some of the shops to check out prices for jewelry and gifts and things. After class we decided to try to find the market. That was an experience. We ended up finding the market for the locals, like the one they use. Apparently there is a separate market slightly directed towards tourists in the opposite direction. By the time we got to the backstreets where they were selling raw fruit and vegetables we realized we were not in the right place. Being the minority is a strange experience and not fun. It’s a learning one, for sure, but weird and alien. The locals did nothing but stare at us, which I guess I would too if I saw someone who wasn’t supposed to be there.

It’s weird, either the locals harass us (mostly teenage/twentys age boys) and try to talk to us and be our friends, or the adults just stare at us. I’m sure there’s less hostility directed towards us than I believe, but it’s still strange all the attention we get.

After we got back from the market, I internetted for a while and did my usual thing, then went back to the room and hung out until dinner. Dinner was delicious, as always. We had mashed potatoes for the first time and it was amazing.

Right now I’m just finishing up this blog and hoping to see someone on skype.

It really sucks, the time difference. 7am my time is midnight at home so none of my family would ever be on then, but then like right now, it’s like 8:30pm and it’s 1:30pm at home. I dunno, I feel like I’m never one when other people are on, and I only get to communicate over email. It’s nice, because a bunch of people regularly email me, so that gives me something to do, it just sucks going on facebook and not seeing anyone ever that I want to talk to.

I’m sorry for complaining a lot. I guess its ok since its my blog and I can say whatever I want, but for the people who read this, I am making the most of this experience, at least I’m trying. But I can honestly say that this is the most difficult and confusing experience I’ve ever been through. It’s definitely good for me. I know I’m learning a lot about myself, but it’s just uncomfortable. So I’m sorry if it sounds like I’m complaining a lot and being unfrateful. I’m so grateful to be here. Trust me.

Alright, that’s it. I have a feeling it will be a slow week filled with a lot of the same things so I’ll try not to update unless something super-out-of-the-ordinary happens.

Love and miss you all,
Colleen

2 comments:

  1. YO!! I'm off today and tomorrow so I'm leaving my Skype open if I'm at home and will be hoping to see you. Whenever you get on, even if it says I'm off, click me anyway just to see.

    Looking forward to talking and seeing you. Love and miss you Col.

    -Mikeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. your camel riding experience sounds significantly better than mine. i was on a beach in australia and had a creepy old man hitting on me and rubbing my legs - no joke. thank god my friend's dad stepped in and took care of it...but he took his good old time laughing his ass off first.

    i'm glad you're having fun! enjoy & relax...being out side your comfort zone can be good sometimes. although i know it's absolutely terrifying too.

    -- Julie

    ReplyDelete